Learning just got a Glowup.
If you’re anything like us, we were tired of signing up for courses from other educators and not actually learning anything. We make photography education FUN, actionable, and interactive—no more fluff and no more hidden secrets—and bring along a community that feels like home.
This is education for real people, with real results, so you can find success faster than we did with the knowledge we’re going to teach you. With a combined 25+ years of experience running multiple successful photography businesses, our purpose is to change the photography industry.JOIN THE COURSE
Shooting film can seem mysterious and sometimes be downright frustrating.
If we are being honest, when we talk about film we need to talk about the big picture. To be a film expert, you need the ins and outs of how it works. You need to know how to properly meter. And, you need to know what to do when your heart is telling you yes, but your light is telling you no.
Having a comprehensive guide to shooting film is like hitting the lottery. Seriously. If you've wondered about it, we are covering it in Film For Real. No light? We've got it. Bad scans? We've got it. Favorite film stock gone forever? We've got that too.
There's an entire world of knowledge when it comes to being a film shooter. But we want you to know, that with some foundational knowledge, practice, and us in your back pocket, you can master film too.
We don't want you to shoot film. We want you to be a film shooter! We don't want you to only shoot "when it's right"—we want you to be empowered and confident that, no matter what, you can shoot FILM. FOR. REAL.JOIN NOW
"I finally have all the confidence I need and am in love with my film work."
"Y'all PSA to take the Film for Real course!! I just got some fire scans in and it's all thanks to Jennefer and Charla!! I finally have all the confidence I need and am in love with my film work!"
Module One: Camera Types
- Did you know film cameras come in various sizes? And that each size has its own size of film?!
- Learn when to use which camera and when!
- Are there downsides to some of the industry's favorite film cameras?
- So, you found a camera. Do you know how to use the viewfinder?
Module Two: Film Types & Kinds
- There are different sizes of film! When should you use 35? When do you use 120?
- What is the difference between Kodak Portra 400 and 800? How do they compare to Kodak 160?
- What about Fuji?! Does that even matter anymore?
- Film speeds matter. Here is how to handle each one and why we do what we do!
Module Three: Metering
- What is a meter and who needs one?
- What kind of meter should you use?
- Learn how to meter in any situation! No light? Got you. Too much light? Lucky you...but we also got you.
- What do pushing and pulling mean and how do you do it?
Module Four: Shooting Film...Like how?
- What is box speed?
- Learn how to shoot film INSIDE...when there's like...no light. Yes, you can do that too.
- Learn how to load and unload your film.
- Learn how to identify and avoid all of the hazards that want to RUIN your film scans. RUIN THEM.
Module Five: Adding Light
- Using constant light (video light)
- Metering for artificial light.
- Learn when to add light to your scene!
Module Six: You have a film lab now!
- Learn how to fill out an order form
- Learn how to create and cultivate a healthy relationship with your lab
- Learn how to handle awkward lab conversations
- You have a ton of options when it comes to your needs with your lab, let's learn what they are and when you need what!
Module Seven: You have scans now!
- Yes! You can edit your film scans. Here is how!
- Lightroom tricks?! Got em. Photoshop tricks?! Got those too.
- It's time to print your scans...let's do this.
- You have to put those negatives somewhere...where should they go?!
Module Eight: BONUS!
- We called in a favor. You know you want to come along. ;)
Feel confident when picking up your film camera, and honestly, feel like a boss while doing it.
If you love film but are not sure how to use it, you need to build a strong foundation. You're working too hard on editing digitals, and spending too much money trying to "figure film out" on your own. Stop wasting money and love your film scans every time!REGISTER NOW
Meet Charla + Jenn
Honestly. We were just tired of educators not actually teaching people. So...here we are, and we complement each other well. Our combined 25+ years and variety of expertise and experience gives us a unique approach that can affect change for most people in a very impactful way.
Education shouldn't be boring either. We believe that teleprompters and scripts make for a very distant learning experience. So our laid-back but pointed approach to teaching has been said to be "like hanging out with besties with a glass of wine." We are relatable while maintaining the fact that we are successful businesswomen in our industry.
Join us for Charla's world-renowned, film-shooting as she slams you with facts and rap rhymes while changing your life. Jennefer will be backing her up with her Kindred Preset prowess and inspiring ability to make everyone understand their individual importance.